Dental Crowns Galway
Dental crowns are the ideal solution if you want to strengthen or beautify a weak or damaged tooth. Galway dentists, Dr. Eilis O’Hagan and Dr. Michael Donnelly, between them have over 18 years’ experience in providing dental crown restorations to patients with teeth that need more protection and reinforcement than fillings can provide.
Dental crowns are also used to hold a dental bridge in place, cover a dental implant or to improve misshapen or discoloured teeth that can’t be whitened. The ideal dental crown procedure patient has a:
- Broken tooth
- Cracked tooth
- Severely worn down tooth
- Large amount of tooth decay in a tooth
What are dental crowns?
A dental crown is a tooth-shaped ‘cap’ that your dentist places over the remaining part of the prepared tooth, restoring its natural shape and size, and improving its appearance. Once your dental crown is cemented into place, it fully encases the entire visible part of the tooth that lies at and above the tooth line.
At Galway Dentists, we ensure each dental crown perfectly matches the colour, height, texture and overall appearance of your other teeth. The majority of crowns last a lifetime, eliminating the need to replace them unless they fall out or become loose. Visiting your dentist for regular checkups and cleaning, as well as practicing good oral hygiene will prolong the durability of your dental crowns.
How are dental crowns installed?
- Galway Dentists’ Dr. Eilis O’Hagan and Dr. Michael Donnelly will conduct an examination with x-rays of the affected area, determining whether a dental crown is needed.
- The original tooth will be filed down to make room for the new dental crown. If a significant portion of the tooth is missing, we may build it up with filling material.
- We make an impression of the filed down tooth and the surrounding teeth to ensure proper sizing of the porcelain crown and assure your bite is not affected.
- We will place a temporary dental crown over the tooth to cover and protect the tooth whilst the crown is being made.
- Dr. O’Hagan and Dr. Donnelly will match he porcelain dental crown to the colour shade of your other teeth. The impressions are sent to a dental laboratory where the dental crown is manufactured.
- Within a few weeks, the temporary dental crown will be removed and the new porcelain crown is cemented into place.
- After placement of the new dental crown, we recommend good oral hygiene is maintained to keep the underlying tooth from decaying.
Why choose Galway Dentists?
At Galway Dentists, we’ve transformed the smiles of thousands of people since 1999. Our dental crowns will not only help you to look better, your confidence will drastically improve and you’ll feel great. Our friendly team of experienced cosmetic dentists will help you to make the most of your dental crowns so you can show off your smile without worrying once more!